A CHICKEN kidney dished up at the Birchanger Green branch of KFC was “perfectly safe to eat”, according to the district’s food safety bosses.
Last week, the Observer reported how 18-year-old student Leanne Evener had chomped into the giblet after ordering portions of chicken from the fast food outlet at the Welcome Break M11 service station.
The incident left her so disgusted that she threw up shortly afterwards, but environmental health authority Uttlesford District Council has confirmed there were no dangerous bugs on the fried organ.
KFC offered to collect the specimen, which it identified as a kidney, but Ms Evener chose to send it off for independent tests. The global giant has since apologised and contacted her to make a “gesture of goodwill”.
According to the Food Standards Agency, the Birchanger Green branch got a five-star hygiene rating when it was inspected on November 16.