THE woodpecker wrecked 19th century spire of St Mary’s in Great Bardfield has been restored and re-dedicated, along with the church clock and weather-vane.
The ceremony was led by the Archdeacon of Stansted, the Venerable Robin King.
The spire has been re-clad with oak shakes to replace the cedar shingles bored through by woodpeckers, and the 1897 weather-vane, commemorating Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee, has been re-gilded to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.
While, the face of the church clock has been fully restored, with re-gilded hands and numerals on a blue background. Set up in celebration of the 1911 coronation of King George V and Queen Mary, the mechanism once again strikes the hours on the tenor bell and rings Westminster chimes on the quarters.
The re-dedication, on Saturday October 5, was the culmination of a three year project led by parish priest, the Rev Dr Robert Beaken and made possible through the generosity of parishioners and grant providers, Great Bardfield Charities, Viridor Credits (Landfill Communities Fund), Friends of Essex Churches Trust, Stantted Airport Community Trust, and Allchurches Trust.